The Colossians 2:7 Discipleship Training Series
The 2:7 Series is a new concept for training church laymen in Christian discipleship. It is the product of much prayer, research, repeated field testing with in the church environment, and rewriting based on experience. The series is divided into six cources which emphasize the growth of well-grounded church laymen. In addition to all the things listed below for the individual courses, the series includes 65 memory verses of the Topical Memory System and all of the Design for Discipleship Bible studies. Both of these are available at NavPress
Why is it called the 2:7 Series? The name comes from the Scripture reference Colossians 2:7 – the statement of the Apostle Paul to a New Testament church: “Rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you have been taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.”
What is the purpose of the 2:7 Series? What the Holy Spirit expresses through Paul in Colossians 2:7 clearly defines the specific goals of this training:
- For a Christian to become built up in Christ and established in his faith. This series of courses includes instruction in practical Bible study techniques, Scripture memory skills, how to have an exciting devotional life, and how to be effective in evangelism.
- For a Christian to learn to overflow with gratitude in his everyday life. The series will help an individual learn to experience and enjoy a stable and consistent Christian walk.
- For a Christian to be instructed. This implies that training must take place before a person develops into the kind of Christian whose life will have an impact on his community.
What are some results of the 2:7 Series? Many who have been trained through this series have developed qualities enabling them to assume greater responsibilities and become more effective in their local churches. Marriages and families have been helped as individual members have grown spiritually and become firmly established in their walks with God. After graduating from this series of courses, these maturing Christians have had additional tools to help other in their growth in Christ and in reaching out to non-Christians.
- Each of the six courses in the 2:7 Series has 12 lessons.
- There should be a maximum of eight students in groups to enable them to have the best personal attention. This will also create a more informal atmosphere.
- The English six course version is no longer in print, but a revised 3 course version is available through NavPress. 1.800.366.7788 The Russian version is not downloadable, but you can order printed copies of the 2:7 Discipleship Training Series in Russian from Oleg Shmagunov Oleg@ngs.ru All six courses of the Central Asian language translations are downloadable.
- In this first course you will take significant steps toward firmly establishing your walk with Christ. Your Christian life will be built up by:
- Learning to enjoy Bible reading
- Memorizing five key Scripture passages and developing deeper convictions for memorizing scripture
- Experiencing a consistent and meaningful quiet time with the Lord, and recording daily quiet time thoughts
- Discovering in Bible study the reasons for the centrality of Jesus Christ in your life
Order printed copies of Course one of the 2:7 Discipleship Training in the Russian language
- In Course two you will have opportunity to further develop your walk with Christ, that it might be more meaningful, fruitful and effective. This you will do by:
- Learning how to prepare and present your personal testimony of Christ’s work in your life
- Learning how to spend extended periods of time alone with God, and spending a half-day in prayer
- Reading about and discussing how Christ must be Lord of our lives
- Memorizing 12 key verses on the critically important aspects of a balanced Christian life
- Studying scriptural principles for living a Spirit-filled life
Order printed copies of Course two of the 2:7 Discipleship Training
- In course three you will find more challenges to deepening your Christian life. You will continue to grow by:
- Learning how to meditate on the Scriptures
- Learning how to use “The Bridge Illustration” to communicate the gospel
- Memorizing 12 key verses to use in presenting the gospel
- Study key principles for walking with Christ
Order printed copies of Course three of the 2:7 Discipleship Training
- In course four you will have the opportunity to grow further in your active discipleship for Jesus Christ. You will do this by:
- Continuing your regular Scripture memory, quiet time, and Bible Study
- Learning how your character can continue to change
- Learning how to apply the “Pace” concepts
- Begin giving your personal testimony and the Bridge Illustration to non-Christians
Order printed copies of Course four of the 2:7 Discipleship Training
- In completing course five these things should be characteristics in your life:
- Consistent Scripture memory and review
- Regular personal Bible study in which you are able to write your own questions and lead a discussion group
- Having a daily quiet time, and recording what God has said to you through His Word
- Sharing your testimony and the Bridge Illustration with others
- Living a more disciplined life by using the four PACE concepts, and by doing weekly and daily planning
Order printed copies of Course five of the 2:7 Discipleship Training
- In course 6 you will work on:
- Learning how to take a periodic spiritual inventory
- Discovering how to use a prayer list more effectively
- Making meditation on the Word of God a habit
- Becoming more proficient in the use of the PACE concepts
- Nailing down the habits of Scripture memory, quiet time, Bible Study, and witnessing
Order printed copies of Course six of the 2:7 Discipleship Training