Do you have a friend you can trust and share openly with? A friend who brings out your best, prods you in your Christian life, and holds you accountable? Are you this kind of friend to at least one person? “Side-by-Side” is a way to make that happen. It’s two people who make a commitment to meet regularly for mutual growth, support, and accountability. More than merely doing Bible study, Side-by-Side partners help each other “contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people” (Jude 3).
When you commit to pray with a Side-by-Side partner, be amazed how God will work. James 5:16, “Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another that you may be healed.” Personally, I have never overcome any major sin without a trusted buddy first praying fervently for me.
Side-by-Side partners commit to:
- Meet weekly or regularly.
- Prepare for meetings by completing each lesson in a selected study.
- Be honest with and accountable to each other.
- Pray for and encourage one another.
- Check in with one another between meetings.
- Repeat the process with another individual, as God leads.
- Keep confidential matters confidential.
As you journey together, Jesus will grow the two of you toward greater godliness. Along the way, you and your Side-by-Side partner will both have a friend you can trust and share openly with, bringing out one another’s best. We were never meant to go through the Christian life alone.