We are commanded in 2 Peter 3:18, “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” How can we know we are making real progress in growing in grace?
Trying to determine the progress of a soul is like looking at the growth of an oak—you can’t actually see it growing at the moment, but you can compare it to where it once was. The following 10 questions can help you discern whether you are maturing spiritually. Use them to evaluate the past 6 to 12 months.
1. Are you more thirsty for God than ever before?
2. Are you more and more loving, sacrificing your own preferences, plans, or rights for those of others?
3. Are you more sensitive to and aware of God?
4. Are you governed more and more by God’s Word?
5. Are you concerned more with the physical and spiritual needs of others?
6. Are you more concerned with the Church and the Kingdom of God?
7. Are the spiritual disciplines more important to you?
8. Are you more aware of your sin?
9. Are you quicker to forgive others?
10. Are you thinking more of heaven and being with the Lord Jesus?